Saturday, July 23, 2011

Tomorrowland - One Crazy Party

Yesterday Silke, her brother, and I headed to Boom, Belgium (pronounced 'Bome", but I like it better with the English pronunciation) for the Tomorrowland techno/electronic music festival.

It. Was. Insane.

We arrived around 2 and took a bus to the festival site, where we had some drinks, ate, and danced the day away. The place was absolutely packed (over 50,000 people), and no matter how many boards and wood chips the staff put down, it was all muddy. The ground was littered with discarded cups, cigarettes, and other smoke-able things (everyone seems to smoke here). It was shoulder-to-shoulder crowds in the evening, and I can't tell you how many times I was elbowed, stepped on, and pushed. The bass was non-stop, and my ears were ringing with the beats as I tried to fall asleep once we got home. My feet and knees ached from standing on a hill and dancing allllll dayyyyy long. But it was a crazy experience that I won't be forgetting anytime soon. The whole place had an "Alice-in-Wonderland" feel to it, and it only added to the surreal feeling you got from the music itself. The festival was absolutely fantastic for people watching - there was no shortage of oddities. There were people from all over the world, but the fact that not everyone spoke the same language didn't hinder the party at all. Music seems to bring people together in a whole different way.

So today I'm resting. And sleeping. A lot.

x

No comments:

Post a Comment