Monday, July 18, 2011

Love Can Make a Painter Out of a Blacksmith

The Blacksmith's Well
Today we explored Antwerpen (Antwerp for all you English speakers) and I got to hear lots of fantastic legends and stories from Danny as the day went on. I think that's one thing I love about Europe - everything has a story. I realize that we have "stories" in America too, but they seem so much more legendary and full of history here. My favorite of the day was a love story about a blacksmith who became a great painter to impress the father of the woman he was madly in love with. The father of the girl was a painter as well, so the blacksmith painted a fly on one of the father's paintings. The father tried to swat the fly off of his painting, and when he realized it was not real he demanded to know who painted such a marvelous fly. The blacksmith claimed his artwork, and was allowed to marry the girl. (I know I probably didn't tell it as well as Danny, but I'm doing my best.) I also got to hear how Antwerpen got its name - roughly translated it is "hand throwing" - and it's an interesting name for a city, with a slightly gory story behind it.  (See this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwerp#Origin_of_the_name)

Hand Throwing







My Dutch phrases are coming along, and I now know something like 10ish words. Yay! The waiter still didn't understand me today (argh!) but I'm working on it.

I've taken way too many pictures once again - but I can't say that I'm TOO upset about it. There are some really neat ones, and I'm forcing myself to label and edit them each night so I can remember what they are a month from now.

I'm off to pack for Amsterdam - the forecast is not looking great. I'm hoping for at least a TINY bit of sunshine while I'm there. Crossing my fingers!

x

No comments:

Post a Comment