La Feria began last night with fireworks and a concert on the beach, and I'm realizing that when all of my professors warned me that the next 10 days would be drunken chaos, they weren't kidding. The beach was packed for Pablo Alboran's performance (he's a famous Spanish singer from Malaga) and the streets were at a dull roar for most of the night. The concert was really good - I may be downloading some music later today.
One thing I am really falling in love with here is the passion people have for everything - every song, every conversation is a story that is told with more enthusiasm that I can explain. It's really cool to be around...
On a couple other notes: I'm pretty sure my host mommy's dogs know more Spanish than I do. I also think there are a few 3 year olds that speak better Spanish than me as well. I'm doing a really good job of passing myself off as a local - that is, until I open my mouth. I'm almost offended when someone speaks to me in English now. I've made it through a few transactions speaking only Spanish, and am really excited about how much better my ability to communicate without panicking has gotten. I'm also pretty sure my host mommy appreciates that I can actually talk to her now. (I'm convinced she thought I was really strange the first few days I was here because I barely spoke.)
Plans for today? Beach (duh) and then wandering around Feria.
More soon.
x
No comments:
Post a Comment